A UNESCO World Heritage City
From Mexico City, Queretaro is the first stop along the independence route, a looping route that includes the hill towns of San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato - all towns that were of primary importance during he birth of Mexican independence.
As the cradle of Mexican independence, Queretaro played a role similar to Boston or Philadelphia in the American independence movement. Plans for what became the big break from Spain were first hatched in 1810 in Queretaro, in 1917 the Mexican constitution was signed here.
Symbolic of this city is its 74 arch aqueduct built in the mid-18th century. But perhaps the most famous structure is the Casa de Ecala, known as the House of Dogs for its many canine sculptures. At the heart of colonial Queretaro is the Plaza Obregon, dominated by the beautiful Church of San Francisco. A wing of the church houses a fine collection of colonial relics that are part of the regional museum, Museo Pio Mariano.
Other sites of particular interest are the Museo Regional with its exquisite collection of pre-Colombian, colonial and post-independence treasurers; the beautiful monastery Convento de la Santa Cruz which once served as a fortress for the Mexican army and later housed Maximilian while he awaited execution; the Templo de Santa Rosa de Viterbos displaying strong Oriental architectural details; and Templo de Santa Cruz noted for its ornately carved interior.
Please call us at 1-888-843-6292 or email us at info@MexicoColonialCities.com with your questions or for more information or click the button below to go to our Tour Information Request Form.